Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Final exams in Korea

Last week was final exams at my school.  Final exams are a BIG deal.  One of my high school students was even crying earlier in the week because she was so nervous.

I didn't have any classes Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday except for reading the final exam to two of my students.



You might be wondering what my school lunch looks like.  Every day there is kimchi and a soup.  On this particular day, it was a really good lunch.  We had sweet and sour shrimp and odeng guk (fish cake soup).  Now you know it's a good day if I go back for seconds.  Seriously!  I went back for seconds on the shrimp because it was so good.  The noodles in the soup were pretty good too, but I don't really like fish cake.  It's basically processed fish pieces mixed with flour and other things.  Sounds yummy, doesn't it?


During my class with my girls, we were singing Christmas songs, and one of my girls reaches over and holds my hand.  How sweet.  In Korea, it is not uncommon to see girls holding hands with each other AND boys as well.  Boys will lean their heads on each other's shoulders, hold hands, and display other forms of affection.  It took me a while to get used to it.  You even see grown men holding hands walking down the street.


This last picture is a funny for you.  I saw this at my local Home Plus, which is like the Korean Walmart.  Now I'm single, and I wondered if this is the way to get a man in Korea.  I don't know if I want to try it.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment